Skip to main content

It's That Time Again: Another 30 Day Social Media Cleanse






Earlier this year I embarked on a 30 day social media cleanse and the rule was simple: no social media for 30 days. The only exception was YouTube, and I wouldn't really call that social because I never leave comments or interact with others on it. It was goodbye for 30 days to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest. Instead I got to enjoy conversations in person or over the phone, I got to speak in more than 20 characters per sentence, I got to enjoy photos sans filters, and I had to actually dust off my cooking books if I wanted a new recipe. It was an amazing experience that was both anger inducing and liberating all at the same time. I found myself getting bored easily because every time I picked up my phone thinking I'd just browse people's pictures or take a look at what I'd missed on Facebook, the absence of the apps (because I was smart and deleted them) reminded me I wasn't allowed to go on them, and I got angry. I was angry because it meant I'd actually have to do something, and I felt lazy and didn't want to move any muscle other than the one in my thumb that I used to scroll. In reality, what I thought was boredom was actually discomfort as I changed an ingrained habit and ritual. It was fear of not knowing what to do with myself outside of social media (as pathetic as that sounds), and it was fear of having to push myself outside of my incredibly narrow comfort zone. But once the anger began to subside, something else magical happened - not all at once, just a little bit at a time, but enough that I noticed a difference. Time began to slow down. I went to bed at a normal time. I slept better. I stopped comparing myself to everyone else who happens to be on the same social media platforms. I stopped wishing my house was different. I stopped questioning silly little things in my relationship. I stopped being hard on myself about my achievements or lack thereof. I started finding new ways to spend my evenings. I started enjoying cooking dinner and washing the dishes. I started feeling less stressed. I started to feel a real change... and then the challenge ended, and things went back to the way they were before. I've been feeling a little hum drum as of late and I've noticed that I've been spending almost every spare minute of my time on Facebook, Instagram or Pinterest and I think it's time to have a little break again, and again I am a little nervous but more excited than anything.


If you are wanting to do a 30 day social media cleanse, here are some tips and reminders for along the way:


1. Delete all social media apps from your phone. It will remove temptation to check them, and you will thank me later.
2. Remind yourself of what your intent and goal is with this challenge on a daily basis. Reminding yourself of the why makes it easier to continue when the going gets tough.
3. Write a list of things you would like to do/achieve/accomplish/complete while on your social media challenge, that way if you ever get bored you can look at this list and choose something to work on.
4. Give all of your friends a heads up that you will be going on a 30 social media cleanse, and offer up another way of communication, or suggest a get together so you can still keep in touch.
5. Understand that the 30 days will have highs and lows and that is okay because it is all part of the journey.
6. It only takes 30 days to form a habit, and therefore it only takes 30 days to break one. Stick with it!
7. Keep a daily journal of your challenge and track your progress, thoughts, feelings and any changes you notice. It will be neat to look back on, and will be a good reminder to look back on.


Good luck!


M&M



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Back Into Alignment

Alignment. That is the word my mind had been searching for, for weeks. Something had felt off, something didn't sit quite right, something felt a little out of place, something felt out of ... alignment . It is amazing how sometimes all it takes is for our minds to think of a single word and suddenly and all at once it allows us to see the truth of a situation. As soon as I found the word alignment something clicked into place; I had a light-bulb moment, and knew exactly why I had been feeling like I was in a funk of sorts: I was out of alignment with myself. For me being in alignment means having my thoughts and beliefs match up with my actions and how I live my life on a day to day basis, and somehow as if it crept up on me out of nowhere I was no longer in alignment with myself. As I began to think of all the ways my thoughts and beliefs didn't match up with what I was doing I understood why I had been carrying around this irritable and weird feeling in the pit of m

The End of Slow, The Beginning of Surrender

My third slow experiment is trotting along nicely, and I have come to the realization that these slow experiments are not really doing what I thought they would do. I thought these experiments would lead me to a deeper sense of peace and calm, a more present focus on the moment, a way to really embrace the simplicity of things, but instead I just feel restless and a knowing sense that the year of slow although only three months in is already coming to an end. Instead of being disappointed with this outcome, I'm choosing to be grateful. I'm grateful because everything happens for a reason and the three experiments I have done so far have led me to the realize that this may be the end of slow, but the beginning of something else: Surrender. I have been journaling a lot lately and I find myself often writing 'surrender, surrender, surrender'. Writing those words feels a whole lot like inhaling calm and peace and exhaling anxiety and stress. It is easy to think of sur

21 Things You Can Do In Just 5 Minutes to Savor The 'Slow'

"I don't have enough time" "I wish each day had 48 hours instead of only 24" "I'm too busy" "I'm exhausted" We've all heard and probably used the above excuses for not getting more things done. Time is a commodity and there never seems to be enough of it. However truth be told time is usually not the issue but our inability to prioritize what is important that causes us stress and seemingly 'not enough time'. I have been a slow living enthusiast for a little over a year now. Slow living, to me, means having enough time to still stop and smell the roses. Enough time to appreciate the little things, and take part in the little things. Enough time to make my priorities a priority. Enough time to enjoy life instead of rushing through it. Enough time to savour the sweetness. But despite wanting to live a slower paced life, slow can sometimes still feel busy as Krista from A Life In Progress talks about in her pos

Followers