Skip to main content

Have Yourself A Minimal Little Christmas




Today is December 1st and the Holiday Season is fast approaching and my family and I have all agreed that this year we are going to have a much smaller, much more minimal Christmas, and you know what? I couldn't be more excited! Christmas is a time of year when we are meant to relax, slow down, spend time with the ones we love, and have gratitude for what we already have; It is a time to look back at the year that has passed, and look forward to the year ahead, all the while being present in the moment and enjoying the here and now. Sadly often times the holidays are instead spent scrolling through Pinterest feeds and online retailers trying to find the perfect gifts, and trying to create the perfect holiday. Along the way we spend too much money, and too much time running around, and not enough time simply focusing on what matters the most: laughter, good food, and even better friends and family.


Here are some simple reminders for the Holiday Season...


1. Your presence is present enough.

2. There's nothing wrong with giving gifts, just be mindful of what you are spending, and whether or not the person you are giving the gift to will find it useful or meaningful.

3. The perfect holiday doesn't exist, so please stop looking for it. Stop looking at pictures on Pinterest, stop comparing what others are doing, and stop putting yourself down for not doing a good enough job. All you need to have a wonderful Christmas as I've mentioned above is laughter, good food, and even better people. Lights, fluff and stuff are completely secondary.

4. Take moments to pause and slow down. Take a deep breath. Savor your food. Make that sip of hot coco or tea last a little longer. Take a few moments to lie in bed before you get up.

5. Don't take pictures of everything. Sometimes I get so caught up taking pictures of the moment, that I miss the magic of the moment altogether. Set aside a time to take pictures, but otherwise just enjoy the moment as it unfolds.

6. Focus on spending time together more than buying gifts for each other; Bake cookies, go for a winter walk, go out to breakfast, play games... after all time is one of the best gifts there is to give.
 
7. Be kind. Hold a door open for someone. Offer to help them carry their bags to the car. Smile at strangers. We all have our own stories, and the Holiday Season isn't easy or happy for everyone. Little random acts of kindness can go a long way especially at this time of year.

8. Give back to those less fortunate. Donate toys to a local toy drive, sponsor a family, volunteer at a local soup kitchen, or maybe just leave a few hand written notes of encouragement and positivity around a local bookstore.

9. Give up any and all expectations of what you think the Holidays should be, and simply enjoy them for what they are.

10. Take note of the little things: the smile on someone's face, the sounds of paper ripping as someone unwraps a gift, the twinkle of the lights, the crisp scent of the snow, the warmth from the candles, the pile of messy dishes in the sink that dinner was served on... this is where all the magic is
found.

Wishing you all a lovely holiday season! 

 

M&M














































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Back Into Alignment

Alignment. That is the word my mind had been searching for, for weeks. Something had felt off, something didn't sit quite right, something felt a little out of place, something felt out of ... alignment . It is amazing how sometimes all it takes is for our minds to think of a single word and suddenly and all at once it allows us to see the truth of a situation. As soon as I found the word alignment something clicked into place; I had a light-bulb moment, and knew exactly why I had been feeling like I was in a funk of sorts: I was out of alignment with myself. For me being in alignment means having my thoughts and beliefs match up with my actions and how I live my life on a day to day basis, and somehow as if it crept up on me out of nowhere I was no longer in alignment with myself. As I began to think of all the ways my thoughts and beliefs didn't match up with what I was doing I understood why I had been carrying around this irritable and weird feeling in the pit of m

The End of Slow, The Beginning of Surrender

My third slow experiment is trotting along nicely, and I have come to the realization that these slow experiments are not really doing what I thought they would do. I thought these experiments would lead me to a deeper sense of peace and calm, a more present focus on the moment, a way to really embrace the simplicity of things, but instead I just feel restless and a knowing sense that the year of slow although only three months in is already coming to an end. Instead of being disappointed with this outcome, I'm choosing to be grateful. I'm grateful because everything happens for a reason and the three experiments I have done so far have led me to the realize that this may be the end of slow, but the beginning of something else: Surrender. I have been journaling a lot lately and I find myself often writing 'surrender, surrender, surrender'. Writing those words feels a whole lot like inhaling calm and peace and exhaling anxiety and stress. It is easy to think of sur

21 Things You Can Do In Just 5 Minutes to Savor The 'Slow'

"I don't have enough time" "I wish each day had 48 hours instead of only 24" "I'm too busy" "I'm exhausted" We've all heard and probably used the above excuses for not getting more things done. Time is a commodity and there never seems to be enough of it. However truth be told time is usually not the issue but our inability to prioritize what is important that causes us stress and seemingly 'not enough time'. I have been a slow living enthusiast for a little over a year now. Slow living, to me, means having enough time to still stop and smell the roses. Enough time to appreciate the little things, and take part in the little things. Enough time to make my priorities a priority. Enough time to enjoy life instead of rushing through it. Enough time to savour the sweetness. But despite wanting to live a slower paced life, slow can sometimes still feel busy as Krista from A Life In Progress talks about in her pos

Followers