Skip to main content

It's Time For a Staycation






"Instead of wondering when your next vacation is, maybe you should set up a life you don't need to escape from" - Seth Godin

Everyone needs a break once in a while; A break from chores, from bills, from responsibilities... but that doesn't mean we need to escape our day to day lives. What if we instead stayed exactly where we were and simply eliminated the chores, bills and responsibilities for a few days? A staycation offers a far less expensive way for us to enjoy what we already have with minimal stress.

Why do you want to travel?

I used to sit for hours browsing Pinterest travel boards wishing I could jump into the pictures I saw, and often feeling jealous and frustrated that I wasn't traveling the world. After not understanding why I felt this way I decided to ask myself a simple question that had a huge impact on my perspective - why do I want to travel? Why I want to travel is simple: I want to spend time with my husband  away from the responsibilities of life to reconnect, re-energize, and recharge. I realized that if this is what I wanted out of travel then the destination doesn't really matter. Traveling to see and experience new things is important, but staycationing and being able to really enjoy and appreciate what is already in front of you is just as important, if not more so. With that being said I am off of work next week for an entire week and I plan to have a staycation...

What will my staycation look like?

Unfortunately my husband was unable to book the week off, so I will have the days all to myself. During my staycation I plan to:

  • Wake up with no alarm
  • Enjoy lying in bed, basking in the sun and stretching
  • Eating a healthy and hearty breakfast each morning
  • Spend time with family and friends
  • Watch my favorite movies
  • Read Harry Potter and The Cursed Child 
  • Spend time with Mother Nature
  • Pamper myself with a stay-at-home spa day
  • Take as many naps as my heart desires
  • Go on a bike ride
  • Go to the beach at least once, hopefully twice
  • Go to the park and enjoy being a big kid
  • Do some yoga and meditation
  • Go to a local bakery to enjoy a coffee and a croissant
  • Revel in the little moments
If want to read a little more on staycations, or want some more ideas about what to do on your staycation you can check out this article over on Forbes. 

Instead of wondering when your next vacation is, maybe you should consider having a staycation to enjoy what has been right in front of you all along. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Back Into Alignment

Alignment. That is the word my mind had been searching for, for weeks. Something had felt off, something didn't sit quite right, something felt a little out of place, something felt out of ... alignment . It is amazing how sometimes all it takes is for our minds to think of a single word and suddenly and all at once it allows us to see the truth of a situation. As soon as I found the word alignment something clicked into place; I had a light-bulb moment, and knew exactly why I had been feeling like I was in a funk of sorts: I was out of alignment with myself. For me being in alignment means having my thoughts and beliefs match up with my actions and how I live my life on a day to day basis, and somehow as if it crept up on me out of nowhere I was no longer in alignment with myself. As I began to think of all the ways my thoughts and beliefs didn't match up with what I was doing I understood why I had been carrying around this irritable and weird feeling in the pit of m

The End of Slow, The Beginning of Surrender

My third slow experiment is trotting along nicely, and I have come to the realization that these slow experiments are not really doing what I thought they would do. I thought these experiments would lead me to a deeper sense of peace and calm, a more present focus on the moment, a way to really embrace the simplicity of things, but instead I just feel restless and a knowing sense that the year of slow although only three months in is already coming to an end. Instead of being disappointed with this outcome, I'm choosing to be grateful. I'm grateful because everything happens for a reason and the three experiments I have done so far have led me to the realize that this may be the end of slow, but the beginning of something else: Surrender. I have been journaling a lot lately and I find myself often writing 'surrender, surrender, surrender'. Writing those words feels a whole lot like inhaling calm and peace and exhaling anxiety and stress. It is easy to think of sur

A Moment of Gratitude

Today I decided I really needed a moment of gratitude. I needed to take a moment, and insist that I consider all of the things I have to be grateful for, because it can be easy to know you have a lot to be grateful for, but it isn't always easy to feel that you have a lot to be grateful for. My house is a back split with 6 stairs up and 6 stairs down and isn't all too different from a Mole Tunnel, or a Hobbit Home with its twists and turns, ups and downs, offshoots and dead ends. For my moment of gratitude it was important for me to stand in the centre, the heart, of my home and so I stood in the little space that isn't really a hallway between the living room, kitchen and dining room right in front of my 6 steps down. I closed my eyes, slowed my breathing, and imagined I was standing out in the cold in a deep puddle of mud with nothing else around as far as the eye could see. Then slowly I began to imagine the foundation of my house appearing under my

Followers