Skip to main content

Becoming Minimalist: 3 Steps to Starting






To become a minimalist you need to start somewhere, and sometimes starting is the toughest part! For me it was important to define what minimalism meant, and then to further define what it meant for me. Looking up the official dictionary definition won't be of any help. Don't believe me? See for yourself. The best definition I found was on The Minimalists blog where they share their elevator pitch on minimalism. Something that stood out to me was:

"a 20-year-old single guy’s minimalist lifestyle looks different from a 45-year-old mother’s minimalist lifestyle" - The Minimalists.

...meaning minimalism is different for everyone, and there is no wrong way to do it. For me it means living with enough - not too much, not too little - and consciously considering the way I consume; Do I need this? Will I use it? What value will it bring to me or my life? What am I willing to give up in order to have this? It is important to define your minimalism.

Step 1: Define your Minimalism

Next I asked myself why. Why am I doing this? 

I am doing this because I want to have a happier, lighter, freer life that allows me to focus on the things that matter the most, and be more conscious of what and how I consume. Understanding why I was wanting to embark on this journey has continued to serve as a good motivator when I've reached the inevitable difficult moments along the way. Knowing the purpose of this journey reminds me that the rewards far outweigh any negatives I may briefly experience. 

Step 2: Why am I doing this?

Now that I was clear on what and why it was time to take action. Whether you take small baby steps, do a 30 day minimalism challenge, or decide to get rid of 90% of your belongings in a single evening what is important is that you do what feels right in your gut. My initial actions were slow and precise - I didn't want to accidentally discard anything that I would later regret letting go of, so I took my time. I purposefully considered items in my space, and decided for each individual item if it was worth keeping or donating. Next to nothing went in the trash. Actions speak louder than words, and if all you're doing is talking about it instead of doing it then it remains a dream instead of a tangible goal.

Step 3: Actions speak louder than words

I am little more than 8 months into this journey, and I am surprised by where it has led me. The number one difference I have noticed is how much less I consume because I have created a habit of questioning whether it is necessary, and what value will it bring to me. My house is less cluttered and when I walk into a room I am surrounded by things I use and/or love, instead of just stuff. Minimalism may not be for everyone, but it certainly is for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Back Into Alignment

Alignment. That is the word my mind had been searching for, for weeks. Something had felt off, something didn't sit quite right, something felt a little out of place, something felt out of ... alignment . It is amazing how sometimes all it takes is for our minds to think of a single word and suddenly and all at once it allows us to see the truth of a situation. As soon as I found the word alignment something clicked into place; I had a light-bulb moment, and knew exactly why I had been feeling like I was in a funk of sorts: I was out of alignment with myself. For me being in alignment means having my thoughts and beliefs match up with my actions and how I live my life on a day to day basis, and somehow as if it crept up on me out of nowhere I was no longer in alignment with myself. As I began to think of all the ways my thoughts and beliefs didn't match up with what I was doing I understood why I had been carrying around this irritable and weird feeling in the pit of m

The End of Slow, The Beginning of Surrender

My third slow experiment is trotting along nicely, and I have come to the realization that these slow experiments are not really doing what I thought they would do. I thought these experiments would lead me to a deeper sense of peace and calm, a more present focus on the moment, a way to really embrace the simplicity of things, but instead I just feel restless and a knowing sense that the year of slow although only three months in is already coming to an end. Instead of being disappointed with this outcome, I'm choosing to be grateful. I'm grateful because everything happens for a reason and the three experiments I have done so far have led me to the realize that this may be the end of slow, but the beginning of something else: Surrender. I have been journaling a lot lately and I find myself often writing 'surrender, surrender, surrender'. Writing those words feels a whole lot like inhaling calm and peace and exhaling anxiety and stress. It is easy to think of sur

A Moment of Gratitude

Today I decided I really needed a moment of gratitude. I needed to take a moment, and insist that I consider all of the things I have to be grateful for, because it can be easy to know you have a lot to be grateful for, but it isn't always easy to feel that you have a lot to be grateful for. My house is a back split with 6 stairs up and 6 stairs down and isn't all too different from a Mole Tunnel, or a Hobbit Home with its twists and turns, ups and downs, offshoots and dead ends. For my moment of gratitude it was important for me to stand in the centre, the heart, of my home and so I stood in the little space that isn't really a hallway between the living room, kitchen and dining room right in front of my 6 steps down. I closed my eyes, slowed my breathing, and imagined I was standing out in the cold in a deep puddle of mud with nothing else around as far as the eye could see. Then slowly I began to imagine the foundation of my house appearing under my

Followers