Skip to main content

The Year of Slow



Happy 2018! On this exact day last year I read Cait Flander's post A Year of Slow where she talks about embracing slow living experiments for 2017. With the new year here I have decided to follow in Cait's footsteps and will be embracing slow for 2018. The word slow is going to become my 2018 mantra and will need to be repeated often but will hopefully lead me to slow down, take more breaths, put my phone away, enjoy the moment, smell the roses, and give myself room and space to just be.


2017 was a great year - probably the best year of my adult life, and that isn't because of the things I did but more so the mindset I adopted. I faced some of my fears, worked on my anxiety, and just became a little more me. Through all of that I have really felt the pull and call of less, and slow, and getting back to basics. I want to ensure that I do not continue to get swept up in the craze that is busyness, eating out constantly, spending too much money, and missing the special everyday moments that are always there as long as I look for them.


For my year of slow I want to embrace...


Slow Gratitude


I want to take the time to really breathe in the little magical moments of the every day.


Slow Food


I want to simplify what I eat, really take the time to appreciate what it is I am eating, and reduce the amount of time I spend in the kitchen preparing meals. I also want to cut back on how often I choose to eat out and make eating out something that is saved for special occasions or celebrations.


Slow Travel


I only want to go to a few places this year (I've already booked this amazing place!) that are all within Ontario, and I want to ensure that while I am there the goal is to enjoy whatever that experience brings instead of trying to cram each little trip with as much as possible.


Slow Technology


I want to stay off of my phone more which has practically become a fifth limb at this point, and I want to live in the present instead of feeling the need to document every single moment and viewing it from behind a lens.


Slow Mornings


Mornings for me are always very rushed and by the time I get to the car to head to work I already feel stressed. I want to wake up a little earlier and take more time to just take it easy. I want to be able to eat breakfast at home, do some stretches, cuddle my cat, take some deep breaths and really set myself up for a positive day ahead.


Slow Evenings


My evenings aren't rushed, but I do have the tendency to waste the evening away by just watching TV. That isn't to say I will never watch TV again (cause let's be real) but it certainly should not be the only thing I do. I want to spend my time in more valuable ways in the evenings by reading, going for walks or pursuing something creative, and I also want to create an evening routine that allows me to really wind down before bedtime.


Slow Money


I don't spend much, and I certainly do not buy many (if any) 'things'. What I do spend a lot of money on however is take out; Tim Horton's. Starbucks. McDonald's. Domino's. Pizza and coffee have become my security blanket for far too long and it is time I start to loosen that grip. I want to have some extra money aside so I can pay for my tattoo I am getting this year, as well as a little trip I am planning with my sister.


Slow Movement


I often find myself power walking from one place to another, or as I am cleaning the house for no apparent reason - I'm not actually under any pressure to get somewhere quickly and yet my actions say otherwise. Before I know it I feel rushed and stressed and out of breath with no idea why. I want to be more intentional and slow down my movement this year by walking slower, and picking yoga back up.


Slow Self Care


This one doesn't really have much of a description other than I need to take time out for me, and not feel guilty for doing so. If I need an hour long bath, that's what I am going to do. If I want to go for a two hour walk, that's what I am going do to. If I need a night to myself, that is what I am going to do. I need to start listening to myself more and I need to stop being afraid to ask for what I need.


...This experiment may change as the year goes on, just as I hope to do and I may or may not blog about it. As much as I would love to document the year I might just want to live in the moments and let them be. Whatever this year brings I am going to do my best to enjoy it and savour it, slowly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Back Into Alignment

Alignment. That is the word my mind had been searching for, for weeks. Something had felt off, something didn't sit quite right, something felt a little out of place, something felt out of ... alignment . It is amazing how sometimes all it takes is for our minds to think of a single word and suddenly and all at once it allows us to see the truth of a situation. As soon as I found the word alignment something clicked into place; I had a light-bulb moment, and knew exactly why I had been feeling like I was in a funk of sorts: I was out of alignment with myself. For me being in alignment means having my thoughts and beliefs match up with my actions and how I live my life on a day to day basis, and somehow as if it crept up on me out of nowhere I was no longer in alignment with myself. As I began to think of all the ways my thoughts and beliefs didn't match up with what I was doing I understood why I had been carrying around this irritable and weird feeling in the pit of m

The End of Slow, The Beginning of Surrender

My third slow experiment is trotting along nicely, and I have come to the realization that these slow experiments are not really doing what I thought they would do. I thought these experiments would lead me to a deeper sense of peace and calm, a more present focus on the moment, a way to really embrace the simplicity of things, but instead I just feel restless and a knowing sense that the year of slow although only three months in is already coming to an end. Instead of being disappointed with this outcome, I'm choosing to be grateful. I'm grateful because everything happens for a reason and the three experiments I have done so far have led me to the realize that this may be the end of slow, but the beginning of something else: Surrender. I have been journaling a lot lately and I find myself often writing 'surrender, surrender, surrender'. Writing those words feels a whole lot like inhaling calm and peace and exhaling anxiety and stress. It is easy to think of sur

A Moment of Gratitude

Today I decided I really needed a moment of gratitude. I needed to take a moment, and insist that I consider all of the things I have to be grateful for, because it can be easy to know you have a lot to be grateful for, but it isn't always easy to feel that you have a lot to be grateful for. My house is a back split with 6 stairs up and 6 stairs down and isn't all too different from a Mole Tunnel, or a Hobbit Home with its twists and turns, ups and downs, offshoots and dead ends. For my moment of gratitude it was important for me to stand in the centre, the heart, of my home and so I stood in the little space that isn't really a hallway between the living room, kitchen and dining room right in front of my 6 steps down. I closed my eyes, slowed my breathing, and imagined I was standing out in the cold in a deep puddle of mud with nothing else around as far as the eye could see. Then slowly I began to imagine the foundation of my house appearing under my

Followers