Skip to main content

Slow Sundays & Self Care this Spring



Sunday's have slowly become my favorite day of the week. I love Sunday's because they are the day Ryan and I have our Sunday Rally's and it is also they day of the week that I want to try to embrace self care. Self care can, at times, feel a little overly self indulgent especially when there are other things to get done on my seemingly never ending to-do list. But putting some time aside each week for self care ensures that I am giving myself the attention and love I deserve so that I can be the best version of myself possible. Is self care overly indulgent? Maybe a little, but it's for a good cause!

Pursuing minimalism has led me to be more conscious of how my time is spent so finding a simple and easy, yet meaningful routine that makes me feel refreshed and energized matters.

Here are 10 simple ways I am going to embrace a more minimalist self care routine, and slow my Sunday's this Spring.

Eat your greens


I think Sunday's are going to become my Smoothie & Salad day as the months start to warm up. It will be a great way to indulge in some healthy food, and is also simple and easy to prepare. I am hoping that it will leave me feeling light and energized the day before the work week begins.

Hydrate


Staying hydrated is important for your overall health and if you are anything like me, drinking more than a couple of cups of water each day is a challenge. Sunday is a good day to take pause, and be more conscious of how much water I actually consume. Time to get and stay hydrated!

Keep it simple


I never like it when Sunday's are packed full of things to do because it is the day before the work week begins, and if there is a single day in the week that should be taken as a slow day, it is Sunday. I plan on keeping my to-do list to an absolute minimum and completely simplifying my day. No to chores, and no to big dinners that take far too much time to cook. Yes to rest and relaxation, and yes to reveling in simplicity.

Gratitude


I would like to practise gratitude on a more consistent basis, but we all have to start somewhere and Sundays are the perfect day to take a few quiet moments to jot down all the things I am grateful for. I went ahead and purchased a lovely sunshine yellow journal and I can't wait to start writing about all of the little things that matter the most.

Fuel your mind


I love reading but find that I rarely make the time to read. If I can make time even just once a week to sink into the couch and enjoy a good book for 20 minutes, then my little bookworm heart will be happy. This week I picked up a magazine (which I rarely do) called 'Mindfulness' and I can't wait to sit down and read it.

Light it up


As the saying goes, the little things are the big things. It is all the little things that make any given moment special or memorable or worthwhile, but rarely do I take the time to do the little things. One of those little things is lighting candles. I absolutely love the vibe candles give off and I love how you can pick scents that go well with the time of year. On Sundays I plan to light a candle or two and bask in their romantic light.

Gentle movement


I've never been big on exercise, but gentle movement has always been something I have enjoyed whether it is walking, stretching or yoga. I always feel so good afterwards, and need to ensure that I make more time for gentle movement. If the weather is good I want to go for a little walk each Sunday, or put some time aside to do some deep stretches.

Fresh air


Getting fresh air is imperative to my mental well being. Too often I find myself cooped up inside for days on end (especially in the winter) and it is no wonder I feel like I am walking around in a fog. Even if I just open up the windows each Sunday for 5 minutes, I am going to make fresh air a priority.

Feel refreshed


I know a lot of people enjoy having showers in the morning, but I am the complete opposite. Having a shower in the evening is my absolute favorite thing to do. I find it so refreshing and relaxing, and it helps me to settle down for bed time. I plan on postponing my Sunday showers until the evening so I can thoroughly enjoy them instead of rushing them in the morning.

One activity


I want to keep my Sunday's simple and I don't want to overload them with doing things. I am going to pick one activity each Sunday to be my main focus whether it is being creative, going to the beach with my family, or watching a movie I have been meaning to watch for some time. Paying attention to how I spend my time is important and Sunday's are going to be my slow day.

How do you embrace self care?

m&m

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Back Into Alignment

Alignment. That is the word my mind had been searching for, for weeks. Something had felt off, something didn't sit quite right, something felt a little out of place, something felt out of ... alignment . It is amazing how sometimes all it takes is for our minds to think of a single word and suddenly and all at once it allows us to see the truth of a situation. As soon as I found the word alignment something clicked into place; I had a light-bulb moment, and knew exactly why I had been feeling like I was in a funk of sorts: I was out of alignment with myself. For me being in alignment means having my thoughts and beliefs match up with my actions and how I live my life on a day to day basis, and somehow as if it crept up on me out of nowhere I was no longer in alignment with myself. As I began to think of all the ways my thoughts and beliefs didn't match up with what I was doing I understood why I had been carrying around this irritable and weird feeling in the pit of m

The End of Slow, The Beginning of Surrender

My third slow experiment is trotting along nicely, and I have come to the realization that these slow experiments are not really doing what I thought they would do. I thought these experiments would lead me to a deeper sense of peace and calm, a more present focus on the moment, a way to really embrace the simplicity of things, but instead I just feel restless and a knowing sense that the year of slow although only three months in is already coming to an end. Instead of being disappointed with this outcome, I'm choosing to be grateful. I'm grateful because everything happens for a reason and the three experiments I have done so far have led me to the realize that this may be the end of slow, but the beginning of something else: Surrender. I have been journaling a lot lately and I find myself often writing 'surrender, surrender, surrender'. Writing those words feels a whole lot like inhaling calm and peace and exhaling anxiety and stress. It is easy to think of sur

21 Things You Can Do In Just 5 Minutes to Savor The 'Slow'

"I don't have enough time" "I wish each day had 48 hours instead of only 24" "I'm too busy" "I'm exhausted" We've all heard and probably used the above excuses for not getting more things done. Time is a commodity and there never seems to be enough of it. However truth be told time is usually not the issue but our inability to prioritize what is important that causes us stress and seemingly 'not enough time'. I have been a slow living enthusiast for a little over a year now. Slow living, to me, means having enough time to still stop and smell the roses. Enough time to appreciate the little things, and take part in the little things. Enough time to make my priorities a priority. Enough time to enjoy life instead of rushing through it. Enough time to savour the sweetness. But despite wanting to live a slower paced life, slow can sometimes still feel busy as Krista from A Life In Progress talks about in her pos

Followers