Skip to main content

Let's Talk About : Thrifting & Borrowing





Let's talk about thrifting and borrowing. Whatever happened to them? Why did we stop knocking on our neighbours doors to borrow a bowl of sugar? And why is it 'gross' to buy clothes second hand?

One of the many things I've learnt on my minimalism journey is the beauty of sharing, and the beauty of items pre-loved.

Borrowing let's me...

- Own less
- Connect with my neighbours
- Lend to them in return
- Build relationships through trust and helping
- Spend less money (if any!)
- Pool resources creating a sense of community

Thrifting let's me...

- Spend far less than I would at a big box store
- Recycle items that are still in great condition which is great for the environment
- Not contribute to sweat shop and low wage conditions
- Not contribute to industries that use items made from animal skin/fur
- Find items or styles I would never find in today's stores
- Find 'one off'' items

Seriously. This stuff is great, and I have no idea why we don't all do it more often. I do understand that not everything can be borrowed or thrifted and that is okay, but there are plenty of opportunities when these methods of consuming can be used before running to your local Walmart.

So next time you need something, like a few eggs, or a new plate, or an adorable baggy white cardigan covered in polka dots and sunflowers (yes, this happened) then why not try knocking on your neighbours door or stopping by a local thrift store first? You can always purchase whatever it is you were looking for from your local big box afterwards if you didn't end up finding what you were looking for, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to try.

What are your thoughts on thrifting and borrowing?

m&m

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Back Into Alignment

Alignment. That is the word my mind had been searching for, for weeks. Something had felt off, something didn't sit quite right, something felt a little out of place, something felt out of ... alignment . It is amazing how sometimes all it takes is for our minds to think of a single word and suddenly and all at once it allows us to see the truth of a situation. As soon as I found the word alignment something clicked into place; I had a light-bulb moment, and knew exactly why I had been feeling like I was in a funk of sorts: I was out of alignment with myself. For me being in alignment means having my thoughts and beliefs match up with my actions and how I live my life on a day to day basis, and somehow as if it crept up on me out of nowhere I was no longer in alignment with myself. As I began to think of all the ways my thoughts and beliefs didn't match up with what I was doing I understood why I had been carrying around this irritable and weird feeling in the pit of m

The End of Slow, The Beginning of Surrender

My third slow experiment is trotting along nicely, and I have come to the realization that these slow experiments are not really doing what I thought they would do. I thought these experiments would lead me to a deeper sense of peace and calm, a more present focus on the moment, a way to really embrace the simplicity of things, but instead I just feel restless and a knowing sense that the year of slow although only three months in is already coming to an end. Instead of being disappointed with this outcome, I'm choosing to be grateful. I'm grateful because everything happens for a reason and the three experiments I have done so far have led me to the realize that this may be the end of slow, but the beginning of something else: Surrender. I have been journaling a lot lately and I find myself often writing 'surrender, surrender, surrender'. Writing those words feels a whole lot like inhaling calm and peace and exhaling anxiety and stress. It is easy to think of sur

21 Things You Can Do In Just 5 Minutes to Savor The 'Slow'

"I don't have enough time" "I wish each day had 48 hours instead of only 24" "I'm too busy" "I'm exhausted" We've all heard and probably used the above excuses for not getting more things done. Time is a commodity and there never seems to be enough of it. However truth be told time is usually not the issue but our inability to prioritize what is important that causes us stress and seemingly 'not enough time'. I have been a slow living enthusiast for a little over a year now. Slow living, to me, means having enough time to still stop and smell the roses. Enough time to appreciate the little things, and take part in the little things. Enough time to make my priorities a priority. Enough time to enjoy life instead of rushing through it. Enough time to savour the sweetness. But despite wanting to live a slower paced life, slow can sometimes still feel busy as Krista from A Life In Progress talks about in her pos

Followers